a guide to #afropunkparis
By Sound Check
April 21, 2015
Are you coming to the AFROPUNK Festival Paris May 23-24 and looking for a place to stay or more info about the city? In her “AFROPUNK Paris guide”, AP community member Maya Dorsey shares her tips and favorite spots via her blog La Vie Locale. Feel free to share yours in the comments!
Here is what she had to say:
Paris get ready! AFROPUNK-one of the hottest, highly acclaimed music, cultural festivals birthed in NY, is making its first debut in Paris May 23 & 24 at the Le Trianon venue. In collaboration with one of France’s most popular and respected production team (Nous Productions), this event will be without a doubt amazing. In true AFROPUNK style the festival will be a full cultural experience with food, live paintings by local artist, and an acoustic stage. The performance line up includes artist such as: Willow Smith, Lianne La Havas, Leon Bridges, Young Paris, and many more, check out the full line up here.
If you haven’t already gotten your ticket, what are you waiting for? For more details on AFROPUNK and to purchase tickets check out the AFROPUNK site. Also, for those based in Paris or coming from different cities for this weekend , here are some #Lavielocale approved tips to planning you weekend.
If your traveling from outside of Paris to this event consider the following locations to stay in Paris
– If you would like to stay close to the venue look into hotels or Airbnb’s near Metro stops such as: Anvers (may be really crowded though since it is so close to Montmartre), Pigalle, Place de Clichy, Abbesses.
– Here is a list of Lavielocale suggested places to stay in Paris that aren’t necessarily close to the venue but easy to access
THINGS TO DO
If you are thinking of things to see in the Montmartre area near the venue, or places to eat before the festival or after here are some suggestions…
- Visit Montmartre Neighborhood. For a great view of the city take the stairs all the way to the top of the Sacre Coeur and this is the view you will have…
- Café Lomi– speciality coffee shop,
- Souls Kitchen
- KB Caféshop
- Check out La Musée de La Vie Romantique– they have a cute little tucked away tea garden
There will be food vendors at the event, but if you want to check out some places in the area here are a few places
- FLOORS– Great French Brasserie
- Antoine de Montmartre- Great Tapas
- Timeout Paris list of Montmartre best restaurants
- Le Point Emphémère – Fun place to hang out and have a drink near Metro Jaures
- Le Comptoir General – Its hard to put words to describe this place but if I tried I would say its an eclectic mix of Franco/African style, that has a cool lounge atmosphere to hang out if you want to be around a nice crowd and good vibes.
- Favela Chic– Great music and parties
- Reclyclerie– right off the train track of Porte de Clignancourt, nice outdoor space with garden for brunch
- Hotel Particulier Montmartre-Secret hotel of Montmartre tucked away with beautiful garden to have brunch or tea
- Pavillion de Canaux– Right in front of the Canal de l’ourq. Boat house reverted bar, restaurant, co-working space has the best décor and ambience.
Hope that you are excited for all the fun to come at AFROPUNK!
Get The Latest
Signup for the AFROPUNK newsletter