Law Roach & Leiomy (HBO’s Legendary) Talk PRIDE in Metaverse
June 29, 2022
A virtual runway built out of 3D abstract sculptures dipped in sunset hues leads into a vast, meditative space. This is “Dream House” — inspired by the heart of Ballroom culture, and built with LGBTQ+ creators in Horizon Worlds. Created within Black and Brown LGBTQ+ communities to provide a refuge of belonging, safety and inclusivity for members, the movement’s influence has expanded beyond urban geographic boundaries. Ballroom’s unique vogueing and performance experiences have had a deep impact on pop culture, inspiring beauty and fashion trends for decades.
As part of the Metaverse Culture Series, LGBTQ+ leaders in VR were invited to explore “Dream House” and candidly discuss how the community can feel safe and empowered in immersive environments.
The conversation was moderated by journalist, content creator and communications strategist at Meta, Danielle Young, and included:
- Law Roach (@luxurylaw): Top Hollywood stylist, Image ArchitectⓇ and judge on Emmy-nominated HBO Max Original Ballroom Competition Series Legendary
- Leiomy (@wond3rwoman1): Ballroom icon, model and judge on Emmy-nominated HBO Max Original Ballroom Competition Series Legendary
- Dr. David Johns (@drdavidjohns): Educator, researcher and Civil Rights activist focused on equity and social justice at the intersection of Black LGBTQ+ rights
- Tess Holliday (@tessholliday): Model, author, advocate and Founder of #EffYourBeautyStandards
- Renee Montgomery (@reneemontgomery): Co-Owner and VP of the Atlanta Dream and 2x WNBA Champion
Ballroom culture has historically proved life-saving for many Black and Brown LGBTQ+ people in search of safe spaces to express themselves and freely connect. This subculture emphasizes belonging and inclusivity, expressed through performance, competition and houses. Within LGBTQ+ Ballroom culture, a “house” is more than the place you live. It’s a chosen family, a safe space for its members to feel free to explore and be exactly who they are.
We worked with a grassroots team of LGBTQ+ Creators to design and engineer a “Dream House” in Horizon Worlds inspired by the heart of Ballroom. Upon entry, you can participate in a “Grand March”, where movement is celebrated on the runway. Once you walk the runway, you descend into an ambient space with mind-bending architecture. The depth-defying structure is equal parts intimate and vast with minimalistic design, intended to be a creative blank slate to inspire all who enter to dream and connect.
Dream House is now open to the public in Horizon Worlds, which can be accessed through your Quest 2 headset.
Get The Latest
Signup for the AFROPUNK newsletter